Bringing back an 8250

All HP printers

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Bringing back an 8250

Postby RagerToo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Good day,

Thanks first, for an excellent review quite a while ago, for the 8250. By Mr. Oliver : http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printe ... /page1.htm It motivated me to consider keeping and reviving it. Cost is no small object. My local CraigsList has several posts selling off 02 carts that this printer uses.

I acquired this printer several years ago then set it aside when the "ink expired" befuddlement of HP reared it's ugly head. It makes excellent, or made great things when I used it the very first. I have a workhorse HP 1200 for b+w.

Not wanting to be rude here, I have posted two threads on my travails with the 8250 in my profile, or I can post to this thread if allowed. One, a thread I'm participating and one on cleaning solutions. Same handle and avatar. It's an R7 BMW cycle. A concept bike I believe, http://www.bikeexif.com/1934-bmw-r7 I own a BMW R100/7.

I'm still hammer-and-tongs on the printer. It has 200 pieces printed, half of that is in the last week while trying to revive it. My guess is that it should be a valid piece for 2000-3000 usages. I have printed all colors recently on an alignment page, but little or sparse luck on a sample page. Next I may reset the machine to original factory "standards" as allowed through the Tools menu.

I used several means to circumvent the expiry issue(s) and "ink system" errors. (Small shame the forum doesn't pop on US google, but I certainly understand spam and spambots.) I will look through this HP side of the forums for further help, and thank you all again.
RagerToo

Re: Bringing back an 8250

Postby Costas L » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:45 pm

RagerToo wrote: .... I have posted two threads on my travails with the 8250 in my profile, or I can post to this thread if allowed. .....

Welcome to the forum - by all means post the information to this thread :mrgreen:
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Re: Bringing back an 8250

Postby RagerToo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:55 am

Very good,

Here are the two sites. The first I have posted to, somewhat recently, and the second is an interesting suggestion for cleaning fluids.

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads ... dont.5151/

and: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads ... test.5296/

Luck

*** and thank you for the welcome. ;)
RagerToo

AHA!!! Re: Bringing back an 8250

Postby RagerToo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 am

You know what they say about people that think they know it all?

It makes it difficult for those of us who do. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

I would like to insert some appropriate British witticism, but I haven't any. My printer is good to go.

First things first, I believe the firmware reset file I acquired from the former Iron Curtain site properly opened the door to the printer. It was completely useless a week and a half ago.

I just printed an XP Pro (OS system) test page. One of the files being used mentioned the beloved, useless Vista OS. Hmmm. I did early on - use HP's latest revised drivers. It appears to be a single revision of my retail package cd.

I then, just after the XP test page, printed a .png file. A picture of some text. It printed but the colors, were reds and browns (exactly what was missing from the printer based HP sample page.) Should have been blues and blacks. Next, a poster from A Clockwork Orange. All the colors were incorrect. Deep reds instead of blacks.

I investigated what XP had for settings, as if I knew what I was looking for.

Colorsmart/sRGB was ticked. (uh, what'sthat?) I switched the box to Application Managed Colors (uh what's that!) And printed the XP Pro based test page. Perfect. I then printed the A Clockwork Orange poster. Perfect. I don't know .... nothing ..... about printers.

I then, for this post, went back to take a screen grab and I see that the properties reverted to what is shown (top) selection is in the box. But everything is still printing properly.

I'm a happy 'something'.
RagerToo

Return to HP printers