Gamma Settings on Epson Printer

She's back and ready to sort our your problems

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Gamma Settings on Epson Printer

Postby russellsnr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi, New here, over 60, so be gentle please.
I no it is an old printer but I have the Epson R1400 and while reading a review here on the R1800 (yes R1800) I noticed it was stated "For the second print I clicked the Advanced button and selected a Gamma of 2.2 (default setting is 1.8)."
My question is that if I set the 2.2 setting on the R1400 then go to ICM as I want Lightroom to control the colours will it still use the 2.2 Gamma as my prints do seem a little on the light side or should I use the Printer and it's drivers to control output?
Hope the question is understood.
Many Thanks
Russ
russellsnr

Re: Gamma Settings on Epson Printer

Postby gcrogers » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Hello Russ, welcome to photo-i.

I'm surprised nobody has responded to this. Is a perfectly valid question.

I can't remember the interfaces of the older Epson printers. If you go into the advanced settings as you mentioned, yes you are making your adjustments there and you set the gamma there. If you are on a PC I believe 2.2 gamma is still accepted as the preferred (1.8 for a Mac). If your monitor is calibrated, you should set your gamma appropriately during calibration then set "ICM off, no color management (as I recall it to be, in the older Epson user interfaces)". In that case, the gamma setting in 'advanced' is ignored and doesn't matter.

You mentioned you are printing from LR. When printing from LR, I have taken to using the brightness slider way at the bottom of the right pane in the "Print" GUI in LR. As you know, prints always look darker than screen (Unless viewed under a proper 4700 kelvin (or so) proofing lamp. I usually leave my brightness set at +10 for said correction, your mileage may vary. This adjustment is plus or minus brightness regardless of whether your monitor is calibrated or not.

Hope this helps and that I didn't get anything wrong. If I did, somebody please feel free to chime in.
Cheers,
-Greg
gcrogers
Site Admin

Postby Costas L » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:12 am

I have no idea what the gama setting in the Epson driver does or when it is used; but what you say is probably right Greg.

I have a workflow which uses gama 2.2 for everything else so set the same in printer drivers etc. Having said that, using Lightroom to manage colours during printing, means it probably does not matter. To find out, needs some experimenting.

If your prints are too too light Russ, then it could be your monitor brightness is set too low.
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby gcrogers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Costas L wrote:If your prints are too too light Russ, then it could be your monitor brightness is set too low.

Right, I was going to comment on that and forgot. This is unusual because most complaints are the other way around, prints are too dark, as you well know, Costas.

And yes, in the Epson GUI's if one chooses the advanced tab it allows one to set the gamma there. And also everything else, obviously defeating any monitor calibration that might be in place.
Cheers,
-Greg
gcrogers
Site Admin

Postby russellsnr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi, Just like to thank all for the replies.
I do use an NEC monitor and Spectraview II along with a i1 Display Pro and am wondering if I was to use the software that comes with the i1 display the i1 Profiler software if it would give better results?
I no NEC make the Spectraview software for there monitors but on the other hand X-Rite are or state to be colour experts.
Thanks again
Russ
russellsnr

Postby gcrogers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Russ, yes, you would be much better off using the i1 Display Pro software. This will properly calibrate your monitor(s). (I happen to use the i1 Display Pro as well).
After having done so, you will want to turn off ICM in the Epson driver (No colour correction).

You might have a bit of a learning curve learning how to get the settings set correctly for proper calibrated monitor colour management for printing from Lightroom, and also perhaps getting your Epson GUI's set up correctly, but it will be worth the effort. After having done all that, you can then make minor 'brightness' corrections from the LR print screen, using the brightness slider I mentioned before.

There is plenty of help available here should you need it along the way.
Cheers,
-Greg
gcrogers
Site Admin

Return to Ask DOT