V700 Increasing The Scan Area Using the Negative Holder

Epson flatbed scanners for the professional and seriously keen photographer

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

V700 Increasing The Scan Area Using the Negative Holder

Postby Chris Nicola » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:55 am

I am generally quite happy with the scans from the V700. One thing that is very disappointing though is that the scan area is only about 85-90% of the total negative area when doing automatic scanning with the Negative film holder. This is alright most of the time but there are situations where important parts of the image are cut off. This means that I have to switch to the film area guide mode and manually set the scan area and zoom in for each individual photo which is very time consuming as I have hundreds of negatives to scan. Has anyone discovered a hack to increase the negative scan area while doing automatic scanning with the Negative film holder?

Kind regards
Chris
Chris Nicola

Re: V700 Increasing The Scan Area Using the Negative Holder

Postby Doug Fisher » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:34 pm

You have the correct film format selected, right? No help from changing the Trimming setting or the "Thumnail Cropping Area"?

Doug
Doug Fisher

Re: V700 Increasing The Scan Area Using the Negative Holder

Postby Chris Nicola » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Doug, thanks very much for your help. I was unaware of these settings. Under "configuration", I checked the thumbnail crop area and there are three settings, small medium and large. Small is the default setting which crops away too much in my opinion. Large adds too much unnecessary space outside the negative area. The Medium setting gets the entire area of the exposed negative if it is perfectly aligned in the film guide. In practice though if the negative is not perfectly aligned one can see a slight border on the scan which will need to be cropped in post production.

There does not appear to be any "Trimming" setting for negative scans. Once the "Film with film holder is selected" it appears that 35 m is automatically detected. Interestingly the instructions say to choose the small crop area when using digital ICE. However my tests showed that digital ICE works fine with the medium crop area.

I do wish there was a way to fine tune the crop area even further to get the maximum scan area and eliminate all borders. Maybe to get about 97 % of the Meduim setting. Its a shame there are only three settings. However, using the medium crop area is much closer to what I want. Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards
Chris
Chris Nicola

Return to Epson V700 & V750 scanners