reviews for hasselblad HC lenses

Have you found a useful piece of kit? Then why not tell us about it.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

reviews for hasselblad HC lenses

Postby ksporry » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:13 pm

So, it myself a second hand H1 ( Fuji gx645af actually), and an totally in love!
Now I'm trying to find a suitable portrait lens to complement the standard 80mm.
Got my eyes on the 100/2.2, 120/4 macro, and 150/3.2
So far I haven't been able to get many comparisons or review.
Can someone point me in the right direction, either by pointing to reviews or provide some info yourself?
ksporry

Re: reviews for hasselblad HC lenses

Postby bez » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:00 pm

150mm on 6x4.5 is equivalent to 90mm on 35mm FF, so possibly the best length.
The 120mm macro might be useful for other things, but is getting a bit short for a classic portrait lens.

What make are these lenses you're considering - Zeiss? Given that Canon & Nikon are known to be variable in sharpness for the same lens, if possible I prefer to test the actual one I intend to buy in a shop, making a note of the serial number.
bez

Postby ksporry » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:11 am

ok, let me clarify a bit.
So I have a Fuji GX645AF, with it I got a P30 digital back. The crop factor (in 35mm terms) for the 645 format is 0.6x. The crop factor for the back in question is 1.3 (approx), which makes the overall crop factor for the camera plus back, about 0.8 (in 35mm terms). Wikipedia confirmed this on their phase one page.
So for my combination, a 150mm lens would translate to about 120mm in 35mm terms. This is very close to the focal length I usually shoot at (135mm F2 being my favourite portrait lens with the Canon). The 120mm would be around 95mm or so in 35mm terms.

My problem is that other than the hasselbladdigitalforum, I cannot find any decent and objective reviews about any of the Hasselblad H lenses anywhere. This makes it rather hard to decide what to focus on. The before mentioned forum discusses the objectives I am interested in, but isn't objective by a long shot, and I'm quite frankly baffled that such a professional camera setup has zero objective reviews. DxO doesn't have any. And googling gets me, well, not very far.
I don't want to spend days in the shop testing every single lens (sample version and type).

So if anyone knows of a source for Hasselblad 645 system lens reviews, that would be greatly appreciated.
ksporry

Postby bez » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Not sure I understand the various crop factors involved, but the P30 sensor is 33.1 x 44.2 mm, slightly larger than 35mm. The diagonal is 55mm, so a ‘standard’ lens would be roughly 63mm.
Following this logic, a 150mm lens is about equivalent to 130mm on 35mm.
120mm = 105mm.

I can only guess the normal review sites don’t bother with professional MF lenses for some reason?

Testing a single Canon lens (with tripod) at my local camera shop takes 10 minutes. The only one I bought online (it would have been 8-10 weeks to arrive in the shop) was a 17mmTS-E from Amazon, which luckily seems to be a good example. Zeiss may not be subject to such variability ...
bez

Return to Lenses and other accessories