Happy New Year.

Have you found an interesting article, or want to publish something? Use this forum for all creative matters.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Re: Nappy New Year.

Postby Costas L » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:00 pm

.... and a Nappy New Year to you and all as well Colin

ps - not sure if that is a local greeting where you are or .... :P
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:08 pm

But spelt differently? :D
Ed.
Robin Hood

Postby gcrogers » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks Colin. Happy New Year to you and everyone from me, too.

Yes, we celebrate it here as well. :P
Cheers,
-Greg
gcrogers
Site Admin

Re: Happy New Year.

Postby Costas L » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:59 pm

That's OK Colin - just a bit of New Year leg pulling. I've changed the title for you, since it was a typo (was not sure at the time :D )
Costas
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby DavidM » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Happy New Year, one and all! And thanks to our Vincent and our faithful moderators.

(But thanks especially to Colin for the original typo — no need to blush: it was rife with double entrentres :wink: and merited a number of big smiles.)
David
DavidM

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:14 pm

"entrentres" ??? Ah! I see! - another typo. :lol: :lol:
Ed.
Robin Hood

Postby gcrogers » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:38 pm

My 2 cents regarding the image posting issue;

Over the years, folks have occasionally posted images. I've done it myself, long time ago. I've been around quite a while, and have never quite seen it work here. My theory is quite simplistic, I believe it is because this photo-i forum was not set up for that purpose. Folks tend to come here for tech advice, and in the past when Vincent was reviewing a lot of printers (back in the day when the technology was changing, fast), to further discuss those reviews.

It seems we have morphed into a place where new folks occasionally show up with questions, presumably led here via google searches regarding their particular problems, and a place for us long-time members (which basically is all of us here are at this point) to kick things around.

Another thought comes to mind is picture sharing / comment and critique forums are not faring very well in general these days, it seems. Things seem to be swaying in the direction of photo-sharing via social networking. Not my cup of tea, but my opinion doesn't matter.

I have spent more time over the years on posting/critique forums over the years than makes much sense. It gets complex. Some folks are looking to be complimented, and become offended when critique is offered. This oft times happens with the very same folk who beg for critique. Just one example and I'd guess many if not most of us here have experienced this and other peculiarities of these forums so I doubt I am saying anything new to anyone here.

I believe within the past couple of years (may have been longer, I lose track of time), Vincent initiated a way to post pics to be critiqued here. I don't recall it ever going anywhere, but by golly, he tried!!

In my case, I'm afraid I've been in photo-sharing burnout and have been for several years, so that is why I haven't commented on your question, Colin. But I'm just one person and certainly can't speak for anyone else. It pains me to see a perfectly reasonable request question/comment go ignored, reason I responded with my personal thoughts on the matter.

In summary, I like your idea and for many, many years I thought it would be a good thing if we did more of the photo-sharing thing here. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing your idea take off at all.

Lovely image, btw, Colin!
Cheers,
-Greg
gcrogers
Site Admin

Postby Costas L » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Colin

Maybe start a new thread in this topic (Creative Chat) asking for comments. Not many people will be looking in a thread called Happy New Year :mrgreen:, I even have some questions for you about your image
Costas
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby DavidM » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:50 pm

Bez, I think you're right about reluctance to criticize. I'm an amateur photographer — albeit an enthusiastic and hard-working one for half a century — not a critic, and I see too much rubbish written on other forums to want to risk appearing as ill-informed and self-important as some contributors do on those sites. But with your gentle prodding and Colin's sincere request, I'll toss out some observations. (Oh, and thanks for the tip about clicking the photograph to see the whole thing — my world has changed!)

Colin, it's a fine photograph. I love the colour; I love the rich detail; I love the locale — no, actually I envy the locale, at least while the sun is shining. There are two elements that leave me mildly unsatisfied. First I find the image a bit static with the weight of that massive ruin so close to the centre — it does not invite my eye to roam over the scene; is there a way to re-frame things so that the visual weight of the ruin is less central and will be balanced by the blue of the sky or the mass of golden gorse?

Second — and I admit this may contradict what I've said in the previous sentence — I find there are several competing centres of attention in the image. What's this particular image about — the ruined church? the richness of the gorse? that magnificent boulder in the right lower corner? Is it about comparing the stone of the church with the stone of the boulder? Is it about the brilliance of the gorse against the sombre stone of the church? Is it about the endurance of nature versus the transience of human presence? Of course every viewer will add his or her own interpretation, but perhaps you could nudge us a little harder in your chosen direction.

I find that an essential question for my own photographs: what is this image about?

And thanks, it's a lovely image.
David
DavidM

Return to Creative Chat