Paper feed problem on a Canon MP160 printer

All discussions for image processing hardware

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Paper feed problem on a Canon MP160 printer

Postby DLD123 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:25 pm

I seem to have a recurring problem with the paper feed on my Canon MP160 printer. I keep getting an "Error Code 3" but when I look for jammed paper, there doesn't appear to be any. When I follow the instructions, as undernoted, on Pages 82 & 83 of the User Manual (how to clean the roller) it doesn't seem to do anything.

1) I remove the paper from the feeder.
2) I press the maintenance button until "b" appears.
3) I press either the black or the colour button. Then...... nothing happens.

Can anyone suggest how I might be able to resolve this please? ***

*** Other than chucking the whole thing in the bin, throwing away the unused ink cartridges and buying a different make
DLD123

Re: Paper feed problem on a Canon MP160 printer

Postby Vincent » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 pm

It sounds like you are using a media that is too heavy for the printer, what gsm is the media you are trying to use? Can you try some plain paper and see if you still get the paper jam message.

Have you tried using a printer cleaning sheet?
Can you look inside the printer to see if there is a small tear of paper that may have become lodged in the rollers.
Have you been using photo sticker paper or labels and maybe a sticker/label has been left behind.

Just a few things to try, let us know how you get on.
Vincent - editor of www.photo-i.co.uk
Vincent
Site Admin

Postby DLD123 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks for your reply. I am using 75gsm paper, the same kind I have been using for years, normally without any problems. I have even tried taking some clean, dry paper from a new packet - fanned a little then put into the feeder in the normal way.

When this problem has happened in the past and I followed the instructions in the manual, after I pressed the black or colour button the machine usually started making a loud noise as it ran through a self-cleaning sequence. I sometimes had to do this several times, then things returned to normal.

Unfortunately this time all I am getting is an "Error Code 3" constantly flashing and, short of taking a sledge-hammer to it, I can't find a way to stop this. I have already checked several times that there don't appear to be any small pieces of paper stuck in the rollers.

Does anyone from Canon ever read these forums? Surely this problem shouldn't be so difficult to clear?
DLD123

Postby Vincent » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Try using a thicker paper, 75gsm is probably far too thin and lightweight, it's more useful as copying paper. Lightweight paper can cause all sorts of jams, including not picking up properly. Use a minimum of 90gsm for inkjet printers.

Try this

Ensure the Pixma MP160 is turned on by pressing the "On/Off" button, you will notice the display prompt you for E3 (error 3).
    Press and hold the "On/Off" button for one second. The display will now go blank and begin resetting the malfunction.
    Wait 10 to 15 seconds and restore power to the unit by pressing the "On/Off" button once more.
    Allow the unit to complete its cycling process and the error code should be gone. If the code persists, your printer will need professional maintenance.
Vincent - editor of www.photo-i.co.uk
Vincent
Site Admin

Postby DLD123 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks for your help chaps!

I see on one of the Forums mentioned above there is a suggestion that "phantom paper jams" are a fairly common problem on the
Canon MP160.

I'll see what my local repair shop says, but strongly suspect they'll just condemn my machine in the hope of making a sale.
DLD123

Postby DLD123 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 pm

I'm delighted to report that a new computer repair shop has recently opened up in our neighbourhood and, when I took the printer in yesterday, they asked me to leave it with them. When I collected it today, despite the fact it had taken them quite a while to resolve the issue, they declined to make any charge. :D

I have also discovered that "phantom paper jam" error messages are quite a common problem, not just on Canon machines, but on other makes of printer as well.

Thank you again for all your replies!
DLD123

Return to Hardware