Canon EOS 6D - Great travel camera ?

All Canon Digital cameras from the 1d to the 400D

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Canon EOS 6D - Great travel camera ?

Postby Costas L » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 pm

There does not seem to be much talk about the new 6D. Maybe some people might think the 20 Mpixel sensor is a bit on the "stingy" side given Sony and Nikon offer 20% more ie 24 Mpixel sensors. However looking at the body size comparisons and weight its far more compact and lighter than the 5D III and the lower pixel pitch delivers an ISO range of 100 to 25,600 and expandable to ISO 102,400. (Never sure what the "expandable to" really means - I think the extra comes from boosting using firmware (ie software) so can be disregarded - its the natural sensor range that seems more meaningful to me).

Add in the capability to focus in very low light - think canon says moonlight and it might be worth considering for travelers.

Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Re: Canon EOS 6D - Great travel camera ?

Postby RobertF » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 pm

but the camera is desperatly dispointing in the global AF settings, only 11 points with only one cross type
It's very similar to my 5D2 4 years old that was already somehow old fashioned at the launch with regard to AF
It's clear that around 2000€ the Nikon D 600 is much more attractive

Sad for people like me with a lot of canon gear.... :-(

I'm converting from Canonism to Fujism, with the X Pro1... :-)
Robert

Postby Costas L » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Robert

yes the camera is disappointing in a number of ways, I would certainly have liked much higher resolution. However number of AF points is not an issue for me, happy with 11 if it really can focus by moonlight (they probably mean a very bright large moon :mrgreen: ).

Waiting to see what the reviews say, I do find it odd that nothing has been published yet; Canon obviously have some problems with the camera they need to iron out. Will be interesting to see review performance against the D600 although I would jump to the D800e myself were it not for the bulk and weight. Be interesting to see if Sony announce a Nex full frame in January/February.
Costas
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby jo-1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 am

RobertF wrote:but the camera is desperatly dispointing in the global AF settings, only 11 points with only one cross type
It's very similar to my 5D2 4 years old that was already somehow old fashioned at the launch with regard to AF
It's clear that around 2000€ the Nikon D 600 is much more attractive

Sad for people like me with a lot of canon gear.... :-(

I'm converting from Canonism to Fujism, with the X Pro1... :-)

Never had a real problem with the old fashioned AF of the 5D II

(300 f/2.8 L IS USM with 2x III Extender at 600 mm f/5.6)

http://www.jo-1.de/images/eagle_3.jpg

The built in WiFi is the way to go and built in GPS is also extremely welcome.

I like real hardware built in the camera and not only software features!!

Wireless tethering of the camera with a mobile device is key for some sujets and the 6D seems to provide that - good move Canon!!

On the sensor side I am disappointed since the 5D III and the 6D is no exception here - good enough but not an attractive offering in terms of shier sensor performance.

I have high hopes that the rumors about a 46 Mpixel camera are true and that we will see a pro series camera with a renovated sensor soon. http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/big-megapixel-talk-cr2/

Canon is currently selling old wine in new bottles - I am not saying that the old wine is necessarily bad - sometimes good proven technology is better then a new unreliable technology.

Some aspects of the 6D point in the right direction - I hope that the added (hardware) features will find their way into other more attractive models - after all - for every manufacturer of this magnitude it's a question of reuse of the hardware blocks to lower the costs - the usage of the IR remote release in the 5D II was a master piece! When I look at the D800 and D600 from Nikon I get a very sad feeling for the guys who need a remote triggering device externally attached to their camera. What a bad idea to be forced to attach external devices in the field to the camera.

Let's wait and see - I guess it might take some time until the market saturation for 2X Mpixel cameras is reached - until then my 5D II does a tremendous job. I am using (more or less) the best (sensor) technology Canon can offer for the past four years (and counting) - not bad :mrgreen: !!
isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top
ISO 9000 definition of quality: "Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements"
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user"
jo-1

Postby Costas L » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:57 pm

jo-1 wrote: .... On the sensor side I am disappointed since the 5D III and the 6D is no exception here - good enough but not an attractive offering in terms of shier sensor performance.

I have high hopes that the rumors about a 46 Mpixel camera are true and that we will see a pro series camera with a renovated sensor soon. ....

Very true about the 6D sensor - not attractive resolution wise.

With regard to the 46 Mpixel camera - this might not be 35mm, although it might take 35mm lenses for a reduced resolution view. There were rumours last year that Canon might introduce something larger than 35mm, so my thinking is maybe similar to the Leica S2 Its wait and see
Costas
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby jo-1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:55 pm

Costas L wrote:There were rumours last year that Canon might introduce something larger than 35mm

oh well - rumor - you know 8)

Let's see whether Canon steps up in size - the current TS-E's would fit a larger sensor area but why should Canon do that?

The bigger the sensor the bigger the cost and thus your margin goes down - I am not sure that we will have an S2 equivalent from Canon. If yes - I might not want to spend the money for it - then I'll wait for the 46 MPixel 5D VI or so :-)

When you quote the 7D resolution to 35 mm format you end up at 46 MPixel - I don't believe in coincidences - Canon was experimenting years ago with 50+ MPixel sensors - they already did steps downwards and I am sure if the sensor will be bigger it won't me much - maybe a 36x36 mm sensor - that would be a really interesting beast - medium format in a 35 mm casing - sweet :P

It's time for Canon to refresh the market as many times before and I am sure we are just seeing one of the last DSLR generations currently - I see no reason for an optical view finder nor a mirror in the camera - currently my 5D II works fine and I might be tempted to buy a 7D II with >10 fps but I am not tempted to buy any of those refreshed siblings of the 5D II with more or less similar performance - this is like trying to sell another delicious meal after you've just finished the first slow food diner with 12 courses - the 5D II is such a 12 course dinner and the 5D III is just the same with a slightly different composition while you are still happy with the fest setup
ISO 9000 definition of quality: "Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements"
jo-1

Postby jo-1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:01 am

bez wrote:no optical viewfinder :shock: ... 'into little boxes joined by coloured wires'

why not? DId you see this?

http://www.red.com/store/products/red-pro-evf-oled

The cinema guys from RED are using an OLED view finder with 60 fps and no visible delay in their system - films like "Lord of the rings" or other epic films are shot with this equipment and I read no complaints about the viewfinders.

Scale this technology to mass production and trim it to consumer needs and you'll get fantastic new possibilities you never thought about.

I had the Sony α99 in my hands at Photokina in September - very nice camera - in fact really good OLED viewfinder - make it a bit faster and I see no need to use an optical viewfinder any more.

But maybe I am expecting too much from the camera manufacturers - maybe it is not the time yet to really expect huge leaps in technology.

I switched from Nikon to Canon due to the lack of innovation at Nikon - now Canon gets slower as well - maybe I am just a bit spoilt by the semiconductor industry where we see every year new shiny outstanding improvements - it's not the same in every industry obviously :mrgreen:
jo-1

Postby Kevgermany » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:42 am

Maybe it's just the cost of keeping up/staying ahead. But as soon as you slacken off, the rot sets in and playing catchup is even more expensive...
Kev

Man is limited by his fears, not by his imagination.
Kevgermany

Postby jo-1 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:25 am

Kevgermany wrote:Maybe it's just the cost of keeping up/staying ahead. But as soon as you slacken off, the rot sets in and playing catchup is even more expensive...

Well - yes - maybe - I know this from my businesses I've been in - cost is always a good excuse - but look at the companies that succeed. They always invest in technology and market research or even better have a vision.

Canon seem to have had the vision that FF is the way to go for. Which turns out now to be in every aspect true. Four FF cameras are at this point in time new available from Canon - nice!

Nikon was behind all the time until they came out with something that truly changed the game. Not to massively but significantly enough to draw people's attention and mine too.

I'd like to have a D800E plus the lenses I already own from Canon - the lenses from Canon are the more innovative ones - especially my new 300 f/2.8 II is a dream come true lens.

I am sure Canon will catch up - until then I am happy and I might be tempted to buy a 7D II with 25 MPixel as action and high speed cam
jo-1

Postby Costas L » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Having access to the lenses that meet your needs has always been key to DSLR sales and locking in the customer base. Full frame DSLR's are what many of us enjoy using for their extensive capabilities, but I think Sony changed the market in 2012.

EVF technology has helped to drive the the price of the 24Mpix Nex 7 "APS C" DSLR down to £788, and with adapters appearing that enable use of your existing lenses on this highly portable APS C camera, you have to wonder what will happen to Canon bodies if/when a full frame Nex is launched. EVF is the enabler for smaller cheaper cameras although neither of those have been significant factors for some purchasers.

Its a shame Canon skimped on the sensor for the 6D, would have been a camera that could have helped them retain users.
Costas
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby Paul Warner » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi all….long time!
Like the idea of this camera as a supplement/replacement to/for my 5D….now a little old in the tooth (like myself). Because I am long retired and wanting top value for money I am considering used. Any advice appreciated.
Paul Warner

Postby Costas L » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:23 am

Paul Warner wrote:Hi all….long time!
Like the idea of this camera as a supplement/replacement to/for my 5D….now a little old in the tooth (like myself). Because I am long retired and wanting top value for money I am considering used. Any advice appreciated.

The 6D is a fine camera so used prices are high and not much less than that charged by some online vendors like
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon ... MTQ2MQ_A_A

for new grey imports currently £829 with 1 year supplier warranty. Also some vendors on Amazon - as always do your homework on the supplier before buying. Rumours are that the 6D will be replaced this year which might see many more on the used market at better prices - but who can tell !

If you buy through Ebay pay via PayPal and look for cameras with low shutter count (under 20,000) even if a little more expensive.
Costas
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby Paul Warner » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks for that Costas, especially the link. Deep thinking now going on, although I am a little tempted by some of the later F/F Sony 7 bodies, together with an Canon lens mount adapter (that way I could also mount some of my Leica lenses!). Pondering in great depth….very painful.
Paul Warner

Return to Canon SLR cameras