Suggestions for hanging up mounted pics

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Suggestions for hanging up mounted pics

Postby ksporry » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Guys,

got a question about hanging up photos.

I got some large prints mounted on cardboard mounts (Ikea mounts, I like the texture and thickness of those), and I would like to hang those up on nylon strings (fishing line really). I don't want to frame them, as I like the clean look of plain mounted pics.

As such, I wonder how I can fix the wires to the mount. I don't want to stick the nylon wire through the cardboard directly as undoubtedly that will cause the cardboard to rip under the weight of the mount and photo once it is hung up. I hung one mounted pic by taping the wire to the mount board with paper tape (the type used for framing and mounting). It seems to hold, but it's quite a laborious process, and I'm not sure how fool proof it actually is.

Any suggestions?
ksporry

Re: Suggestions for hanging up mounted pics

Postby david m » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:11 am

As no one has come to your rescue I'll make a suggestion.
Many, many years ago I would stick Athena posters to MDF board.
To hang them I'd fix the ends of a length of picture wire to the back of the board using a blob of the two tube mix of Araldite. (Is it still available?)
It would take a while to set but it did hold the weight of the board when set.
david m

Re: Suggestions for hanging up mounted pics

Postby bez » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:11 am

Araldite is still available - you could glue two small D rings to the back?

Unless you particularly want to use nylon line, an easy method is Velcro, available either as continuous sticky tape or large 1” spots.
Stick a piece near each corner (plus one in the middle if it's large, to keep it flat) then attach the other half of the Velcro to these and remove the silicon release tape. The next bit is best done with two people – place a spirit level on the wall and rest the board on this, leaning away from the wall. When everyone is happy, push against the wall and stick (no second chances with this step!)

The tape is very strong and we have hung large 2' x 3' mounted prints for several weeks during exhibitions without any failures (unlike Blu Tack)
When removed they do tend to leave a bit of sticky tape on the wall ...
bez

Return to Fine Art Printing