Greeting cards: to send to digital printer - issues!

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Greeting cards: to send to digital printer - issues!

Postby Kirstymak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Hello,

I got a good quote from a digital printer at 20 - 30p per card depending on the order but they're not assisting me with the technical requirements.

They said to send a CMYK pdf; they do minimal manipulation, they just supply a proof.

Can you pse help with my questions? I use a layout programme (Serif) and have imported RGB images. Does the CMYK pdf take care of everything or do I have to convert the images to CMYK and reimport them, then make the pdf?

The company does not supply ICC profiles.

Can you let me know how I should go about sending my cards to a printer and getting a good result? This company complained that they avoid working with photographers because they demand inkjet printer quality at digital printing prices, and expect them to spend four hours on their work, colour matching!
I'd appreciate any info.

Many thanks
Kirsty
Kirstymak

Re: Greeting cards: to send to digital printer - issues!

Postby Kevgermany » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:11 am

Sounds like you need to try some other printers.

Never been down this route, but from web posts I think you should be providing them with a proof which you expect them to match. I believe the colur space is very limited compared to even sRGB, so you need to get a feel for it and work in the correct colour space. I'm trying to remember where I read all this stuff. Could have been in Bruce Fraser's book, could have been in a web forum. Will try and remember.
Kev

Man is limited by his fears, not by his imagination.
Kevgermany

Postby Kirstymak » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:07 am

Hi
Thanks for the advice; they were quite rude and unhelpful, I've found another printer, Cypher, which is better at spelling out their requirements.
thanks
Kirsty
Kirstymak

Postby Costas L » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:25 am

Kirstymak wrote:Hi
Thanks for the advice; they were quite rude and unhelpful, I've found another printer, Cypher, which is better at spelling out their requirements. thanks Kirsty

Better off not using any company that values its customers so little that its rude to them. You made right decision to go elsewhere Kirsty
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby Kevgermany » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Glad to hear that you've got someone better. Let us know how you get on, could be interesting for a lot of us.
Kev

Man is limited by his fears, not by his imagination.
Kevgermany

Return to Fine Art Printing