Profiling Canvas...after varnish?

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Profiling Canvas...after varnish?

Postby Lars Troels » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 pm

I am in the process of profiling my Canvas because I find the Hahnemühle profiles for Canvas are of unsatisfactory quality for my 3800. Colors are to weak and unsaturated, and totally lack vibrance.

I have varnished my testsheets, as I normally do with the finished print before stretching and delivery to the client.

The colors change a fraction and gets more saturated when varnished. Dont you think that this is the right way to handle this. Profiling for colors without vanish gives wrong colors, compared to my end result..

What is your experience?
Lars Troels

Re: Profiling Canvas...after varnish?

Postby Kevgermany » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Lars, interesting concept, but it sounds right. Wonder if anyone else has done the same thing.
Kev

Man is limited by his fears, not by his imagination.
Kevgermany

Re: Profiling Canvas...after varnish?

Postby blpanther » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi,
As we are lucky enough to have spectroscan we do go crazy with calibrating - I have tried to do that as well - calibrate after putting varnish as well as before.
For some reason the profile from varnished canvas isn't really that good - I prefer to stick to the standard, non varnished canvas to profile.
With the matt or even semi-matt version of the varnish there isn't really that much of the change in appearance anyway.
So in my experience - calibrate your canvas prints before putting varnish on!
Canvas Photo Prints
blpanther

Return to Fine Art Printing