drying time

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

drying time

Postby argentico » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:41 pm

hello everybody.
In my printer's maintenance window I can set a longer or shorter drying time for prints: what if I set a different value than default? Should this affect the quality/appearing of prints? I'm using a canon pixma pro9000 with hahnemuelhe photorag paper...
argentico

Re: drying time

Postby bez » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:04 am

My only experience of a ‘wet’ print (Epson 3800, also adjustable) was one particular image on one particular gloss paper, and a little extra time between printhead passes wouldn’t have helped (the dark red/black areas remained wet for several minutes after coming out) ... but I suppose the manufactures must have built in this function for some good reason.
Looking at your previous post, the printhead shouldn’t touch the paper if it’s completely flat, and if it was the printhead, clearly the scratches will be across the paper, at 90 degrees to the direction of paper travel.
argentico wrote:Should this affect the quality/appearing of prints?

I can’t see why it should – the paper moving and the printhead passing are quite separate events. All I can suggest is you try slowing it down, and see what happens.
Have you tried a different paper?
bez

Postby DavidW » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:17 pm

I'm not familiar with argentico's printer, but I wonder if the drying time adjustment is simply a way of permitting a longer drying time between consecutive prints.

You don't want the printer dropping a second print on top of one that is already wet - but if you can configure a pause between each print, you can send multiple print jobs without worrying about the drying time.
DavidW

Postby bez » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:46 pm

DavidW wrote:I'm not familiar with argentico's printer, but I wonder if the drying time adjustment is simply a way of permitting a longer drying time between consecutive prints.

I have no experience of the 9000 either - if it's like the 3800 it pauses briefly between every printhead pass, which I believe is to fix problems related to individual prints (particular paper/ink combinations) rather than multiple ones?
bez

Postby argentico » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 pm

thank you for your replies.
I'll try to increase the drying time and see what happens.
At first I was guessing that doing this could affect the quantity of ink dropped on paper :oops: but now I think it must most likely be related to what you wrote about printhead passes delay and time interval between prints.
argentico

Return to Fine Art Printing