Inexpensive paper advice needed !

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Inexpensive paper advice needed !

Postby davidgaynor » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:53 am

I need a paper that's not too expensive for my A level photography exams. I've used Museo Silver Rag and a couple of Hahnemuhle papers until recently. Trouble is, I'm now officially broke and need a paper that suits my present financial status.
I am considering using RC paper and would like to know if anybody has any recommendations. I've read that Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl is quite decent. I print from an R2400 and I'm doing a project on Art Deco architecture and also one on Product still life.

Regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Re: Inexpensive paper advice needed !

Postby bez » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:09 am

Ilford Galerie is good. Another nice A4 paper which seems on semi-permanent ‘offer’ in some camera shops (£10 for 40 sheets) is Fuji Multijet 270gsm, Gloss or Satin (green & purple pack)
If you’re prepared to cut your own, even cheaper is something like Instant Dry Satin 240gsm - £30 for a 17” 30m roll last time I checked from DCP Systems near Sheffield http://dcpsystems.co.uk/media/display.html
Obviously you’d get two A4s out of the 17” width = about 200 sheets?
edit - oops, no idea why I assume you want A4 ... :roll:
bez

Postby The Crofter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:40 pm

Not sure how cheap you want to go....

http://www.photopaperdirect.com/scripts ... tegory=105

I use this stuff in bulk for a variety of low cost projects and it prints well. My only concern is that you may be doing yourself down by using cheap paper for a photography exam !. I would use it for testing but keep a box of the good stuff for presentations. Even being broke you will have to find cash for paper from somewhere....
The Crofter

Postby davidgaynor » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks Crofter....
You've got a point.....

David.
davidgaynor

Postby davidgaynor » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks for all that Bez. I replied but the reply gremlin must have nicked it.
I'm glad you have said that the Galerie Smooth Pearl is a good one and I will look into the Sheffield company.

Regards,

David.
davidgaynor

Return to Fine Art Printing