Doing the whole package

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Doing the whole package

Postby davidgaynor » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:31 am

I'm not sure where I should be posting this query but thought this section to be the most suitable.

I've been thinking, for a while now, of transforming one of my bedrooms into a little factory where I can edit, mount and frame my pictures. I would welcome any advice that I can get with regard to mounting and framing.....is it something I can confidently expect to do a good job of ? Is it expensive to get started ? Is it worthwhile with regard to costs, given that I probably wouldn't be framing more than one or two prints a month ( with a view to selling them )? If it wouldn't be cost-effective, does anyone have any suggestions about pointing me in the direction of good framing companies that offer their services at a reasonable rate ? I know of e-Frame but have no knowledge of the quality of any framing company's work.

Kind regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Re: Doing the whole package

Postby davidgaynor » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks, KS, for the excellently detailed reply.
You've definitely given me food for thought. There's a lot to think about and I'll have to start doing my sums to see which avenue is more beneficial . I hadn't thought of cannibalising other mounts and frames but I like the idea of that - very pocket-friendly ( although archival kit might be hard to come by ).

Thanks again for putting together your reply.

Kind regards,
David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Postby davidgaynor » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks to all for giving me so much good information.

Reading them has opened my eyes a bit .

I would love to do my own mounting and framing, but now I'm worried that if I do, I would probably be going in at the lower end of the assembly kit scale , which may mean lower-than-I-want quality.
I'll look at Ikea's frames - maybe I can put buffered material between wood and mount to minimise acid damage. Plus, I don't expect - as Bez has alluded to - the finish of Ikea frames to be top notch.

To The Crofter, do you deliver custom made frames and if so, do you have a ballpark price list ? If I get an outside agency to do the technical stuff, maybe it'll be a better idea. My God, I just can't make my mind up !

Regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Postby davidgaynor » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:11 pm

After weighing up what you fellas have said, I'm going to try to source a decent professional mounting provider, get my frames from a good retail store and maybe size the photos depending on the frames I can get my hands on.
If I can make a decent fist of it, then and only then will I consider trying to make my own stuff.

I'll have a look at art fairs and the like, with a view to finding a market for my pictures ( probably landscapes and other pretty stuff, if I want to appeal to the widest audience ) and I'll take it from there.

I saw a post here a while ago, asking where photo-i might be going. Well, for me, this is where it's at - expert info virtually on tap. Much appreciated.

Kind regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Postby jrhilton » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:34 pm

davidgaynor wrote:After weighing up what you fellas have said, I'm going to try to source a decent professional mounting provider, get my frames from a good retail store and maybe size the photos depending on the frames I can get my hands on.

David I think that is sound thinking. If you size your prints to more traditional darkroom paper sizes like 10x6, 11x14 or 16x12, you tend to find you can get hold of a good range of frames and premade mounts at decent prices. I have noticed there is a premium if you want say a4, a3 or a3+ frames or something else a little less common.

These days I stick to 12x12 or 16x12 for the most part, with the odd print at 16x20 or 16x16 when demanded (not much though, as a 16x20 print when matted well takes a lot of wall space so people seem to want smaller most ofthe time, as not so many people live in homes with a lot of wall space these days etc). I don't go to too many fairs these days but the ones I have been to, 16x12 was a popular size with buying customers, which is good as it fits on a3+ paper, and still looks impressive.
jrhilton

Postby Kevgermany » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:24 pm

Some good points made here. Just like to add that I started doing my own framing a few years ago. Well worth doing as a hobby, but not as a living unless you gett he turn over to cover the kit needed.

Cleanliness is essential. Nothing worse than dust getting in - or dirty dust marking a matte.

I buy the frames ready made from an art shop. One alternative for special needs is to go to a local art supply shop and get frames made from their mouldings - as Pat's doing for himself. However allow turn around time, especially if they don't construct the frames on the premises. I tried making frames myself, but without expensive kit, the time and effort involved in getting decent joints and square frames does not really pay. Don't even think of cutting the corners with a mitre saw, it's not accurate enough. I'm not keen on the Ikea frames - especially the bend over tabs at the back that always look as if they're goign to break off before you've finished framing. Haven't had one break, though, although I have cut myself on one.

Cutting mattes - I do this all the time. and also buy the mattes from a local art supply shop. (Acid free etc. ) Well worth doing as the kit isn't too expensive and, once you get the hang of it, it's not too much work. Need a reasonable cutter. Really allows you to save money and get the necessary control.

Assembly. Again, it's worth doing - but there's a knack in getting the prints flat - and staying flat over time.
Kev

Man is limited by his fears, not by his imagination.
Kevgermany

Postby Kevgermany » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 am

Pat, what do you mean by back and front hinging? Is it the difference between taping the print to the matte and the backing board?
Kev

Man is limited by his fears, not by his imagination.
Kevgermany

Postby davidgaynor » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Brilliant info throughout.
This thread will be a great point of reference. Thanks everyone.

Regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Postby gcrogers » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:54 pm

I second David's comment. I have kicked the idea of 'setting up shop' to do it myself as well, never really researched it. Almost all of my unasked questions have been answered here. Thanks to all who posted.
Cheers,
-Greg
gcrogers
Site Admin

Return to Fine Art Printing