Sizing pictures for matting.

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Sizing pictures for matting.

Postby davidgaynor » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 pm

If I'm using ready-made frames with pre-cut mattes, how much should I leave around the picture, when I'm sizing them for printing, so there's enough grip under the mount ?

Regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Re: Sizing pictures for matting.

Postby The Crofter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Assuming your prints are flat, a minimum of 5mm. Be very careful when lining up the print and mat aperture to ensure the border is even. Having said that the larger the border the better so only crop a sheet if needed to fit the mat dimensions.
The Crofter

Postby bez » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:03 am

The Crofter wrote:Be very careful when lining up the print and mat aperture to ensure the border is even.

Of course there may not be a border :? although I like to leave at least 10mm of white between image and matte, plus a minimum of 5mm as Pat says (he's the professional 8) )
bez

Postby davidgaynor » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks fellas.
My own blind thinking is to add a border and a little extra around the image for the matte overlap.
I shot some pictures at weekend but several of them ( including a couple worthy of framing, wouldn't you know it ) don't really have enough space around the subject to allow for the overlap or to allow the subject to 'breathe'.
In future, I'll have to bear in mind that I'm going to have to include matting consideration when composing in the viewfinder !

Regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Postby bez » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Do you mean the pre-cut matte is the wrong shape (proportions)? - you’ll just have to crop, or buy yourself a matte cutter :( … however there's another trick you can use which is ok unless it’s a portrait or a very recognisable building etc. – resample the picture to the right size with Constrain Proportions unchecked – it’s surprising what you can get away with without it being obvious.
bez

Postby dutyhog » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:19 pm

bez wrote:resample the picture to the right size with Constrain Proportions unchecked – it’s surprising what you can get away with without it being obvious.

And if you have CS4, Content Aware Scaling will let you increase the width/height of backgrounds quite a lot before distorting familiar subjects in the scene. Gordon
dutyhog

Postby davidgaynor » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks for the replies.
The pre-cut mattes are the Ikea ones at present, but I've taken a group shot and it's a tight squeeze.
I was just worried that if I don't leave enough grip, it will show around the edges of the matte. I can just about get a 5mm grip all around. Allied to a 10mm canvas increase all around, I'm hoping it'll be enough. Gordon, it's Elements 6 for mac....but thanks for the advice.

Bez, I'd not really thought of leaving a border inside the matte before. Space for signatures and edition numbers perhaps ?

Kind regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Postby The Crofter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:06 pm

You can make life much easier by shooting the pic with framing in mind. Ok to shoot full frame if you intend printing with a white border. Problems start when you have a borderless print that is also full frame and little room for a border under the mount. I get these all the time and it is infuriating, especially from wedding photographers !. On a low value pic you have the option of using adhesive to fix print to backing board/carrier paper but this is a one way process so not good for anything precious. I have to say that having the mount aperture cut to suit the picture will normally give a better result than trying to fit every picture to a 10x8 etc. Every frame I make follows this principle unless specifically asked for matching sets. Worth chatting to a local framer to see how much bespoke mounts are.

Another problem you will encounter with ready made frames is they use hardboard, mdf or similar. My backing board has a concave profile so when fitted into the frame it presses the mount(s)/picture package against the glass. This pressure ensures that a 5mm border is sufficient to hold the pic in place. You will not get this pressure with a standard flat backing board. Worth experimenting. Please do not be tempted to use tape all round to hold it (picture) in place.
The Crofter

Postby bez » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:15 am

I prefer a 10mm (sometimes larger) white border so you can see the whole image, and it doesn’t disappear under the matte. It generally looks better and avoids the fact that a small part of the picture can’t be seen.
I personally don't use this space for signing or titling, which always go on the matte, in pencil.
bez

Postby davidgaynor » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Invaluable advice...thanks.

I've seen that concave backing board in the Lion catalogue....I might treat myself to some.

I'll experiment with a border to see the difference.

David.
davidgaynor

Postby The Crofter » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Art-Bak conservation from Lion comes in carriage paid packs of 23 sheets - around £70 so be sure you are going to use it !. You will also need a point driver to fix the backing and sealing tape to finish the job.
The Crofter

Postby davidgaynor » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 am

Pat, I had a look at the Lion site last night , and saw that I would need to buy it in multiple sheet orders to get it delivered. I'm simply not going to use it in such quantities - at least not for the foreseeable future. I may have to try to source it through an art shop ( nearest is 25 miles away, I think ). I've ordered frame sealing tape but there are plenty of hinging tapes and I'm not sure which one I'll need.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Regards,

David.
davidgaynor

Postby The Crofter » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:25 am

Have a look on google for other suppliers, you may get smaller quantities. I use PH7-70 tape for the majority of my hinges.
The Crofter

Postby bez » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:23 am

davidgaynor wrote:.. but there are plenty of hinging tapes and I'm not sure which one I'll need.
I use 1" acid-free white gummed paper tape that requires wetting (preferably not licking!) It can also be removed by carefully dampening it. You can buy it online or from HobbyCraft shops if you have such a thing near you …
bez

Postby davidgaynor » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Found a Hobbycraft about 5 miles from me. Don't know how I missed it. I got the sealing tape. They have some pretty good frames but no archival stuff. At least I didn't see any. No conservation board, although they do have lots of Daler Rowney board, I assume it can't be archival, as it wasn't sealed and was open to being browsed by Joe Public.
There must be a way to source small quantities of conservation mattes and backing boards.

David.
davidgaynor

Next

Return to Fine Art Printing