Matt, Lustre, Or Gloss For Landscapes?

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Matt, Lustre, Or Gloss For Landscapes?

Postby jonathan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 am

Different paper types seem to lend themselves to different applications and subjects, so I was wondering what you use for landscapes - matt, lustre or gloss. Any reccomendations for lower-priced papers would be greatly appreciated.
jonathan

Re: Matt, Lustre, Or Gloss For Landscapes?

Postby The Crofter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Epson Lustre & Epson Premium Semi Gloss are my stock landscape papers. I am not a great fan of gloss as most of my work is framed behind glass and I prefer the Lustre/PSG result.
The Crofter

Postby Murray Foote » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Matte papers can have a subtle feel but you get deeper blacks and more saturated colours from semigloss (or gloss). Gloss can also be easy to damage. Appropriate papers will depend on whether you are using a dye-based or pigment printer but Ilford Smooth Pearl is a good cheap choice for pigment-based printers.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby Colin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:06 pm

I use Epson Premium Semi Gloss for all my printing as it avoids shiny reflections which are not good looking on a landscape.
Colin
Colin

Postby jonathan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:47 am

thanks to everyone for the suggestions. as i have an epson printer, i'll give the premium semi-gloss a try i think.
jonathan

Postby Paul Warner » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Have you tried Somerset Velvet Enhanced? It`s a lovely paper with a real fine art feel (and made in the U.K., in Somerset.......possibly important in these troubled times). Treated correctly it will give results close to the subtlety and emotional imapct of a (monochrome) Platinum print...... plus really fine colour reproduction and a long tonal range. Also, some of the D-max mentioned above can be regained by judicious use of one of the proprietry sprays, although it isn`t strictly necessary since there is rarely a true black in nature, despite what the pundits might say. As an artist, the use of black pigment seldom happens in a painting!
Paul Warner

Return to Fine Art Printing