Framing advise requested

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Framing advise requested

Postby Sigma » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 am

I'm currently going through the exercise of framing a panorama and have already glued up the 1017 x 429mm teak and gold leaf frame. I have a number of options but would apreciate advice from you all.

1. The back of the frame: I'm assuming something like hardboard, which is simple to get from my local DIY shop. But I've also seen Kraftboard advertised for the same job, its easier to cut, presumably cheaper but probably not as easy to source or as strong.

2. mat board: Really a colour question. I'm used to cutting my own mats but I have always struggled to decide what colour I need. Some colours seem to swallow the print, while others are so bland they actually work against the image. Somewhere there should be a successful partnership.

3. Glass or Acrylic: Glass is probably easier to source locally, acrylic seems to be the material of choice for lower end frames and mail order. Its easy to cut, but with glass I'd not be cutting it myself anyway.

4. Last but not least, an internal mountboard on which to mount the actual print: In the past I've always had bits of spare mat board kicking about, but is this the best practise.

Any knowledge would be most gratefully "absorbed". I have done this before, but not this size and want to do the job reasonably professionally.
W
Sigma

Re: Framing advise requested

Postby Sigma » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Pat,

Many thanks for sharing your hard won knowledge with me. I've glued the frame with epoxy, the same stuff I have used for boatbuilding. I assume that if it holds racing dinghies together without screws and nails it should manage a simple picture frame.

I've costed up custom made frames in the past and local framers have wanted silly money, which is why I'm doing this one myself. That being said, I'm a perfectionist with things like this and it must be done properly for my own sanity. I'm not bothered about the archival qualities as it's only for us at home and I can easily reprint the thing if it starts to suffer. If I had a client wanting this I'd be whipping it down to the local professional framer quicker than you could blink!

I've not hear of the Art-Bak you mention. My local artists supplies shop has offered some "brown board", price and quality unknown, which appears to be around 2 or 3 mm thick. It is stiffer than normal mountboard and looks literally like thick brown card. I have seen thin polystyrene sheet used and have seen self adhesive sheets for sale, is that more like the Art-Bak?
Sigma

Postby Sigma » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advise. Theres a lot to absorb and theres no rush so I am happy to take this slowly, to reread everything and make plans accordingly.

I had already glued the frame together before I posted the question, I did glue each mitre joint seperately and made a jig to hold each in place while the glue cured and the finished frame looks fine even if it had taken me a week to do! Its the accepted wisdom in small boatbuilding that mechanical fixings always fail and can reduce the glued area thus weakening the joint. We will see.
Sigma

Postby Sigma » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Pat,

When I've finished it I'll take a snap, but don't hold your breathe, at the moment I'm a very long way from completion and as I've said already I take things painfully slowly to make sure its done as accurately as possible. We also have a two day photo trip to the Seven Sisters Country Park this week which is not going to speed things up.

Your supports sound an excellent idea. I prefer the idea of supports attached to the vertical sides and thus spreading the load around the structure, to all the strain being taken on the top because wood is poor at dealing with bending forces. From your picture I imagine the load would also be vertical, with no wire pulling at an angle? Even better if thats the case.And no more weekly trip around the house straightening all the frames!

I've been discussing the mount colour with my wife based on all the feedback and the compromise is a pale grey (The image is of South Dorset, Chesil Beach and the Fleet, so a mixture of reds, browns, greens and blues). I propose to leave a small white border of around 5mm around the image which I hope will help project the image.

Sorry, I'm unrepentant about the joint construction. The stresses and strains on a racing dinghy are far more than a picture frame will ever have to withstand although they are generally designed to spread any point loading into the structure as much as possible.
Sigma

Postby jrhilton » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:25 pm

If I make my own frame (not often) I use a through mortise and tenon joint at each corner as I like the look and it is nice and strong. This works best with hardwood that is around 2" x 0.75" I feel. A router table and/or table saw is a must though.
jrhilton

Postby Sigma » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Heres the finished product, It measures 42" by 19". I've sealed the back seams with brown paper parcel tape in an attempt to keep tiny little black insects out. Probably a forlorn hope, because they regularly get into my computer monitor and crawl around while I'm post processing!

http://rcb4344.zenfolio.com/p908176029/e91d6e54
Last edited by Sigma on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sigma

Postby Sigma » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for the backing tape tip, the professional framers locally use 3/4" masking tape which over time drys up and falls off and I'm not keen on that. What should I look for specifically?

I used a Logan mount cutter, thats the trouble. Doing it by eye with a Stanley knife and a metal straight edge from the face side I always get perfect straight cuts, but this fancy cutter which works from the reverse side hooks at the beginning of every cut and I have no idea why or how to prevent it. I will redo it with a fresh mountboard using my old method as I know that works.
Sigma

Return to Fine Art Printing