Erasing ptrint lines on digital paper

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Erasing ptrint lines on digital paper

Postby paulseb » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:56 pm

My Epson1290 occasionally leaves a line on the white border of the 315gsm heavyweight paper I am using [Pinnacle Contour from Paper Spectrum]. It's only just visible but nevertheless spoils an A3 sheet. I've tried white acrylic paint [watered slightly] which is better than gouache but still shows a faint sheen if viewed intentionally against the light.
Any other ideas?
paulseb

Re: Erasing ptrint lines on digital paper

Postby The Crofter » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:24 pm

Is this head strike ? Not sure if putting a concave or convex curve into the paper (lightly rolling) before printing would help. Presume that lighter paper is ok.
The Crofter

Re: Erasing print lines on digital paper

Postby paulseb » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 pm

I used to get magenta banding when I first got this 1290 but raising the p-head [as for envelopes] solved that. However I still get tiny bits of banding, especially when the paper fails to 'bite' and the printer starts anyway without the paper going through. There may be deposits of ink which take a couple of sheets to clear. A 'Typex' solution would make the prints .
paulseb

Postby bez » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:09 am

A line at the edge does sound like a head strike. As Pat says flattening the paper, or even making it convex to the coated side by bending the corners back (which most printers seem able to cope with) will work.
Otherwise scrape carefully with a sharp scalpel blade once the print is completely dry, ie. the surface should come off as a powder, not lumps. This will be almost invisible if it's a matt paper.
bez

Postby paulseb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:29 pm

[quote="bez"]A line at the edge does sound like a head strike. I assume this means that the p-head catches the paper because the latter is 'sitting up' a bit[?].' convex to the coated side by bending the corners back'- means arch the paper backwards to flatten it out?
Meanwhile the scalpel worked perfectly - [should have remembered this as it's a cartoonists' technique for erasing ink!] Thanks.
paulseb

Postby bez » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:28 pm

paulseb wrote:.. means arch the paper backwards to flatten it out?
Yes - with clean hands bend all four corners back. You should be able to tell if this is the problem by laying the sheet on a flat surface and see if the corners stick up.
With every Epson I've used it doesn't matter if you bend it too far as the printer seems quite happy if it's convex, in other words if the paper is sticking up in the middle, the edge of the print head pushes it flat, whereas if a corner is sticking up it catches the middle of the print head, where the ink is. .
bez

Return to Fine Art Printing