Printing Larger Prints

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Printing Larger Prints

Postby Costas L » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:25 am

Anyone who makes prints, especially from Lightroom might be interested in the comments by Jeff Schewe in the reply to a question about uprezzing when making large prints
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum ... ic=46664.0

So if you want to make 20x30 inch and the native resolution goes down to 180ppi when sized to print dimensions, then increase resolution by 50% by clicking on the print resolution button and uprez to 270ppi (50%) - in my view, if your going to 270dpi, then might as well take it to 360dpi.

Remember - this is Lightroom, your not producing a new image file at that resolution; its all virtual editing and output sharpening applied to a single original file including making a virtual copy of that image should you want to permanently retain those settings along with a print preset. Its great that Jeff is prepared to share his experience in this way and goes on to say

The types of images that benefit are images with lots of high frequency textural detail or strong high contrast diagonals or circles.

Thanks to LuminousLandscape for this information
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Re: Printing Larger Prints

Postby jo-1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:54 am

Costas L wrote: . . . So if you want to make 20x30 inch and the native resolution goes down to 180ppi when sized to print dimensions, then increase resolution by 50% by clicking on the print resolution button and uprez to 270ppi (50%) - in my view, if your going to 270dpi, then might as well take it to 360dpi . . .

hm - I always thought LightRoom is handling the upsizing automatically by selecting the printer resolution in the output menu + the real output size.

I get fabulous results without manipulating any image size simply by printing directly from LightRoom and selecting 300 dpi for my HP Z3200 + standard sharpening + media setting.

My understanding is that LightRoom 2 and newer is quoting a higher upsized resolution based upon the dpi setting plus the know enlargement.

In other words - my understanding is that Light 2 and newer is upsizing the image to a 300 dpi images (when putting 300 dpi in the printer resolution - as an example) at the given size. It is also downsizing if the physical resolution is higher then the printed resolution.

That's one of my main reasons for using LightRoom.
isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top
ISO 9000 definition of quality: "Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements"
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user"
jo-1

Postby Costas L » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:41 am

jo-1 wrote: I get fabulous results without manipulating any image size simply by printing directly from LightRoom and selecting 300 dpi for my HP Z3200 + standard sharpening + media setting.

I think your doing what he suggests Jo, except instead of going for a 50% increase your asking Lightroom to uprez to 300dpi.

If you untick the "print resolution" option, then LR shows the native print resolution in the main panel, you can then decide if its too low whether to have LR increase it by 50% say or as your doing make it 300dpi. Tend to agree with you, just leave it set at some multiple of the printers native resolution like 300 / 360 dpi
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby Murray Foote » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:34 am

I've also seen him advocate printing at 360dpi where possible in Lightroom. (360dpi probably implying Epson).

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby Alexendera » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:17 pm

It's been nice to read this post.I got a lot of information and help from this.Thanks a lot Friends.:)
Alexendera

Postby rose23 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:51 am

The quality is very important issue for printing larger prints. Single missing in print can lead to destroy the whole large print. The perfect paper and ink must be insure before such print.
rose23

Return to Fine Art Printing