Canon's entry into the A3 pigment arena

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Re: Newbie

Postby Delphin9 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Short update. The output is much better and the control is wonderful. I've a long way to go as I'm still a bit mystified by which controls what (e.g. when I select borderless, I never get boarderless. I always get a border. The white margin is also not even, even though it is in the preview). Small things. I just printed a B&W on the museum setting on Epson glossy paper. It's great!

Thanks to you all for your kind help. It's very much appreciated. Back to the books.

Cheers, Byron
Delphin9

Postby Costas L » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Good to see you have made some progress Byron. Only points I can think off are

Making sure the image print dimensions are the same size as the paper. There is a preset in Lightroom "maximise size" that might help. You should not see a border in the preview.

Make sure the paper guides are set to hold the paper firmly and are positioned for the paper size being used

Using page setup to go the print driver, there should be an expansion slider associated with borderless printing. Set this to maximum, you can pull this back if you find your losing too much image.
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby Delphin9 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:43 am

Hi all, I've been making good headway, thanks to all the excellent advice from this forum. I've made some very good b&w and some passable color photos.

I'm now using Adobe LR 2.6 on Win XP Pro. The monitor is as adjusted as I can get it by sight. I've ordered a mid level optical calibration unit from ebay. We'll see if that helps any. In most cases the output is close to what I'd expect from the preview in LR.
canon pro9500 pic1.jpg
Adobe LR vs Canon Driver preview.
canon pro9500 pic1.jpg (62.64 KiB) Viewed 5098 times

I've run into an issue that is very inconsistent and was hoping for some feedback. I'm sure it's pilot error but can't see where I'm going wrong. For most of my color printing, the preview in Adobe LR 2.6 and the Canon driver preview are very close to the same, as is the output pic. For some (about 1 in 5) color photos, the preview in the Canon driver isn't even close to what Light Room is showing. What's odd is that the output photo is almost exactly what the Canon driver preview shows. I'm sure that I must have a config issue but can't see where it would be. Again, it's not happening on all color photos, only some. Is there a way to force the printer to print as LR is showing, always? Please see attached jpg.

BTW, the Canon pro9500 is great. I've been using up my old Epson glossy and matte paper and getting very passable results. I've seen many people comment that the Epson r2400 is superior. I'm comparing the output side by side and don't see that much of a difference. I will say that the inability to easily replace the print head on the Epson was my driving reason to move to the Pro9500.

Also, it "seems" the ink consumption is lower than on the r2400. Is that your experience? Is there a waste ink tank add-on for the Pro9500? I had one on my r2400 and it was an education to see how much ink was wasted just turning it on.

Cheers, Byron
Last edited by Delphin9 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delphin9

Postby Delphin9 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:02 am

Hi Murray,

Yes, the LR image is the correct one. The Canon image is way to green. Just on a whim I changed to "let the printer manage the color" and it's now the output is much closer to the LR display. I'd like to better understand what's going on.

Thanks for the input.

Byron
Delphin9

Postby Vincent » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:06 am

Generally when you choose let printer manage colours it will choose a "canned" profile that matches the media selected and the settings you have chosen. In my experience the canned profiles tend to produce excellent prints 95% of the time. Epson, Canon, HP and other third party "quality" paper manufacturers use very sophisticated spectrophotometers to create their profiles, this equipment will be very expensive and produces consistently high quality profiles.

Of course there will always be the purist who wants a better result, hence the availability of numerous profiling devices. I have several from iOne, to Munki and others, but I still tend to use the canned profiles. I make a small test print and if it looks to dark or has a colour cast then my printing experience will help me to make the necessary adjustments. I used this same technique when I was printing in the darkroom days.
Vincent - editor of www.photo-i.co.uk
Vincent
Site Admin

Postby photography08 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:23 am

Hello everyone, I am new here.
photography08

Previous

Return to Canon Pixma Pro 9500