IT 8.7/1 target for Kodachrome.

All scanning issues and scanning software

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

IT 8.7/1 target for Kodachrome.

Postby XEyedBear » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:40 am

I would like to get some advice/comments on this topic.

I have recently been scared into completing the task of scanning my archive of slides - mostly on Kodachrome with some Ektachrome and some Agfa (film type unknown). After doing some reading in The Vuescan Bible I realise that I need to build a profile for my Nikon Coolscan V, so about a month ago I started searching for a source for a suitable Kodachrome IT8.7 target. Aside from one source - an agent for SilverFast who wants €600 plus VAT plus P&P for one slide - I found not one single place to get such a target.

I have even emailed a number of photo labs in UK asking if they would offer a service to build a profile for my scanner - so that I don't then need to actually get my own target. Zero result.

This begs the question of what has happened to all the hundreds of targets that must have been in use in UK during the past 20 years or so. Did people just throw them away? Is there any advice on likely companies/individuals who no longer have a use for their target and might be willing to sell (but at a price much lower than Scan-Dig in Germany, please!). How about the idea of a service to build a profile for me?
Which came first, the lie or the politician?
XEyedBear

Re: IT 8.7/1 target for Kodachrome.

Postby Costas L » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:37 pm

I have bought reasonably priced IT8.7 targets from Wolf Faust in the distant past, ask at the link below
http://www.targets.coloraid.de/
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby XEyedBear » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:23 am

Did you buy a Kodachrome target from Herr Faust? As I said in my original post, aside from a SilverFast agent, I found no source of supply for a Kodachrome target anywhere in the world.
Which came first, the lie or the politician?
XEyedBear

Postby Costas L » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:34 am

XEyedBear wrote:Did you buy a Kodachrome target from Herr Faust? As I said in my original post, aside from a SilverFast agent, I found no source of supply for a Kodachrome target anywhere in the world.

No I didn't buy a Kodachrome target, but as I said above, ask him if he has or will do one for you - you might of course have already have done that.
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Return to General scanning