R3000 Ink Usage

Epsons new A3+ printer

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

R3000 Ink Usage

Postby capnbilly » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Greetings, everyone. I'm back on the forum after almost a 2-year absence, a month ago having replaced my 3800 with this printer. It was a close call, since I had planned to go with a 3880 or even maybe a 4900, but my printing volume had decreased so dramatically that it appeared to me that 25.9 ml cartridges would be more than sufficient for me. Also, since I print DVDs from time to time I was looking forward to having just one printer for all my needs and get rid of the cheapie Epson I was using for that task.

I'm very happy with the results I'm getting from this printer, but a little concerned about the ink usage. I'm trying to keep the ink-swapping to a minimum, but my Photo Black cartridge is already almost empty. I've probably been doing more printing than normal during this past month getting familiar with this machine, as well as a few inadvertent ink-swaps (One was printing a DVD and mistakenly setting the software for Photo Black instead of Matte Black, causing an unwanted ink-swapping cycle) and one month probably does not a trend make.

I've also noticed that it seems to do a few more automatic cleaning cycles than I would like, although during the past couple of weeks that seems to have subsided.

All in all, this printer has given me excellent results, producing near-perfect prints out of the box, although part of that is due to the fact that I was already familiar with Epson and Photoshop software.

I would be interested in others' experience with ink usage, and other suggestions from more experienced users of this printer.

Thanks,
Cap'n Billy
capnbilly

Re: R3000 Ink Usage

Postby Costas L » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi welcome back

any guesses at cost of ink your using for each A4 or A3 print so far; I appreciate usage over the last month may not be typical. I suppose there was also ink used for priming the machine
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby capnbilly » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Costas L wrote:Hi welcome back

any guesses at cost of ink your using for each A4 or A3 print so far; I appreciate usage over the last month may not be typical. I suppose there was also ink used for priming the machine
Thanks, Costas. Glad to be back. I'm afraid I can't even hazard a guess. The largest print I've done so far is an 8 x 10, which is a little smaller than an A4, I think, and only one of those. Mostly I've been printing 4 x 6s and a few 5 x 7s. Unfortunately this printer doesn't seem to have the utility that the 3800 had where the exact amount of ink can be determined for a print.

Thanks for reminding me of the ink used when charging, which I had forgotten about. I think it will look more reasonable in the future, and as I print more I'll try to figure out how to make an informed estimate of my costs. Also, I almost always print borderless, which isn't the most ink-efficient way of printing either.
Cap'n Billy
capnbilly

Postby bez » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:04 am

No Ink Usage report is disappointing. A simpler menu presumably also means you can't switch off automatic cleaning, as you can in the larger machines.
The ink is the same as the 3800 and 7900, so at a guess an 8x10 should use about 1-2ml?
I would also be interested in any user reports because I'm thinking of getting a 3000 as the screen on my 8 year old 3800 is broken, although it still prints perfectly.
bez

Postby Costas L » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:03 pm

bez wrote:No Ink Usage report is disappointing. A simpler menu presumably also means you can't switch off automatic cleaning, as you can in the larger machines.
The ink is the same as the 3800 and 7900, so at a guess an 8x10 should use about 1-2ml?
I would also be interested in any user reports because I'm thinking of getting a 3000 as the screen on my 8 year old 3800 is broken, although it still prints perfectly.

If your not in any great hurry, I think the Epson SureColor SC-P600 which might be the replacement for the 3000 will be on sale in November for £570 - same price as the R3000
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-epso ... r/p1559845
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8669
Costas
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby bez » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Ah yes, good idea. Epson are eventually going to change all the names I believe.
A3+ would be big enough as I have a 7900.
bez

Postby capnbilly » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Costas L wrote:If your not in any great hurry, I think the Epson SureColor SC-P600 which might be the replacement for the 3000 will be on sale in November for £570 - same price as the R3000
Didn't know about that, but should have realized it was about time for a new A3+ to show up. Looks like a new kind of ink, but the cartridge size is the same. I got a $200 rebate on mine, which makes the price $600 (£373) vs. £570 ($916) for the new model. Didn't find any discounts for the 3000 on the Epson UK web site, so it doesn't look like there would be any advantage in purchasing one now if you don't need it.

If this printer serves my purposes without breaking the ink bank it will have been a good deal for me. If not, and I have to replace it with a 3880 or equivalent, it will be just another in a series of unwise financial transactions I've done during my lifetime. It's all part of growing up!
Cap'n Billy
capnbilly

Postby Costas L » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:09 pm

The R3000 for £373 is an excellent buy

the new ink set should be interesting, Epson claims
The new nine-colour UltraChrome HD inkset can reproduce a very wide colour gamut and with a 2.84 DMax – the industry’s highest black density1 — produce deep, rich blacks and ultra-smooth tonal gradations

Epson have been quite about the new Surecolor range, I would imagine ink usage is going to be about the same as the R3000 for prints - cant see how it can use less (or more) and still achieve the same colour saturation. Hopefully maintenance and "black switching" is more economical. We need Vincent to get hold of one and do a review :)
Costas
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby capnbilly » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Costas L wrote:The R3000 for £373 is an excellent buy
Haha. Why didn't I check Amazon first? The Amazon US store:http://tinyurl.com/mbtrzuh is offering it for $343.44 (£213.68) after a $400 rebate! However, I'm suspicious of that $400, as when I click the Rebate link I see two identical Epson $200 rebates with the same dates, so I suspect that is a mistake on Amazon's part. However, if you're in the US and want this printer, even the $200 rebate makes the price $544, about $55 less than I paid. And if Epson were to honor both $200 rebates that would be the deal of the century!
Costas L wrote:We need Vincent to get hold of one and do a review :)
I'm sure he will and I'm looking forward to it, although a lot of good it'll do me!
Cap'n Billy
capnbilly

Postby SnapShot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:09 am

the new ink set should be interesting, Epson claims the vigrx plus effects are awesome.
The new nine-colour UltraChrome HD inkset can reproduce a very wide colour gamut and with a 2.84 DMax – the industry’s highest black density1 — produce deep, rich blacks and ultra-smooth tonal gradations

Epson have been quite about the new Surecolor range, I would imagine ink usage is going to be about the same as the R3000 for prints - cant see how it can use less (or more) and still achieve the same colour saturation. Hopefully maintenance and "black switching" is more economical. We need Vincent to get hold of one and do a review :)

Are the R3000's still worth getting as I can get one pretty cheaply these days or are they way too out of date?
Last edited by SnapShot on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SnapShot

Postby Costas L » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:40 pm

SnapShot wrote:

the new ink set should be interesting, Epson claims

Are the R3000's still worth getting as I can get one pretty cheaply these days or are they way too out of date?

Depends on what price you can get an R3000 for and its condition, also whether the P600 has features that are of interest. Amazon often have the P600 for under £500 (although currently £535)
Costas
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby lnbolch » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:32 pm

If I had to replace my R3000, I would go with the newest simply because as a digital device, it represents the current tech. That said, the R3000 will continue to serve me until it wears out. I was on the fence between it and the 3880 at the time of purchase. I made the right choice. With the amount I print, a couple of the cartridges went well beyond the recommended time and I was getting clogs. Replaced them and all is well. They were very nearly exhausted, so the 25.6ml size of cartridges is ideal.
lnbolch

Postby gcrogers » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:33 pm

It's really nice to see you back, Larry.

After the mix-up we had a couple years back, I was afraid to never hear from you again.
Cheers,
-Greg
gcrogers
Site Admin

Postby capnbilly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:12 pm

SnapShot wrote:Are the R3000's still worth getting as I can get one pretty cheaply these days or are they way too out of date?

Nice to see a little action on this site after a long dry spell. I suspect it's because, like me, a lot of people are printing a lot less these days. In my case, I've been doing more video, and that's been tapering off too.

My R3000 is still performing well, and I suspect it will be my last printer (I'll be 82 this year). For that matter, so is my 3800, which I only kept because I still have quite a few 80 ml cartridges, including one that expired in 2012! Bought the R3000 because my 1800 finally died on me and I wanted a printer that would print CDs/DVDs, which I don't print many of these days either.

My opinion is, if you can get a 3000 in good shape for substantially less than a P600, which seems to be its replacement, go for it. However, since the 600 sells at Amazon for $800 US, it may be hard to do that. The only new 3000 I see on Amazon sells for $1345 US, which is hardly a bargain. Even the cheapest used one I see there at $650 US looks pretty iffy to me, especially if it's out of warranty.
Cap'n Billy
capnbilly

Return to Epson R3000