Lightroom doesn't rename files properly during export

A forum dedicated to Lightroom users - all versions

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Lightroom doesn't rename files properly during export

Postby ksporry » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Question:

Today I tried exporting 3 files from Lightroom CC, with a rule to be rename the files "custom name - original file name". The first of the three in the batch was renamed correctly during export. The other two were not renamed in accordance with that rule. Why is that? What could cause that?

Note: When I hover the mouse pointer over the file in Lightroom, or select the file in LR, the original filename shows up normally, so it's not that the file is named differently.

Note2: The way I worked these files is: First basics in Lightroom CC, then change to PS for additional work, then get them back into LR for final touches, followed by an export.
ksporry

Re: Lightroom doesn't rename files properly during export

Postby Costas L » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:56 am

could be a bug in Lightroom CC which I dont use

Using Lightroom 5.7.1 I selected 3 images in grid view and exported using "custom name - original file name" and all 3 export files were named correctly ie they each had the prefix (I used daffodil). Dont think the processing you did should matter because its copying the file and giving it a new name - your original should be untouched.
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby Murray Foote » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:50 am

I tried that in Lightroom CC 2015. There wasn't a "custom name - original file name" option so I used "custom name - original file number". The files were DSCF8785-Edit.tif, DSCF1702-Edit.tif and DSCF1712.raf. I used qwerk as the custom name. They came out as gwerk-, gwerk--2 and gwerk-1712. Somewhat less than consistent. If you want that to work, I'd say report it in the Lightroom Forums.
Murray Foote

Postby Costas L » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:06 am

Murray Foote wrote:I tried that in Lightroom CC 2015. There wasn't a "custom name - original file name" option .....

Hi Murray - in the "File Naming" drop down of export pane, if you select "Edit" at the bottom you get a popup with more options.

Type some custom text then click on insert filename or original filename to add the filename to it. Quite flexible
Costas
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" John F Kennedy 1962
Costas L
Site Admin

Postby Murray Foote » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:25 am

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about that. It's been a while since I used it. In that case it worked OK for me.

KS - are you using CC 2015?
Murray Foote

Postby ksporry » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:21 am

Yeah, I tried the latter, i.e. going to the edit and then select a custom name + file name option, which came out ok.
ksporry

Return to Lightroom