Sizing pictures for matting.

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Sizing pictures for matting.

Postby davidgaynor » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 pm

If I'm using ready-made frames with pre-cut mattes, how much should I leave around the picture, when I'm sizing them for printing, so there's enough grip under the mount ?

Regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Re: Sizing pictures for matting.

Postby davidgaynor » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks fellas.
My own blind thinking is to add a border and a little extra around the image for the matte overlap.
I shot some pictures at weekend but several of them ( including a couple worthy of framing, wouldn't you know it ) don't really have enough space around the subject to allow for the overlap or to allow the subject to 'breathe'.
In future, I'll have to bear in mind that I'm going to have to include matting consideration when composing in the viewfinder !

Regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Postby davidgaynor » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks for the replies.
The pre-cut mattes are the Ikea ones at present, but I've taken a group shot and it's a tight squeeze.
I was just worried that if I don't leave enough grip, it will show around the edges of the matte. I can just about get a 5mm grip all around. Allied to a 10mm canvas increase all around, I'm hoping it'll be enough. Gordon, it's Elements 6 for mac....but thanks for the advice.

Bez, I'd not really thought of leaving a border inside the matte before. Space for signatures and edition numbers perhaps ?

Kind regards,

David Gaynor.
davidgaynor

Postby davidgaynor » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Invaluable advice...thanks.

I've seen that concave backing board in the Lion catalogue....I might treat myself to some.

I'll experiment with a border to see the difference.

David.
davidgaynor

Postby davidgaynor » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 am

Pat, I had a look at the Lion site last night , and saw that I would need to buy it in multiple sheet orders to get it delivered. I'm simply not going to use it in such quantities - at least not for the foreseeable future. I may have to try to source it through an art shop ( nearest is 25 miles away, I think ). I've ordered frame sealing tape but there are plenty of hinging tapes and I'm not sure which one I'll need.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Regards,

David.
davidgaynor

Postby davidgaynor » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Found a Hobbycraft about 5 miles from me. Don't know how I missed it. I got the sealing tape. They have some pretty good frames but no archival stuff. At least I didn't see any. No conservation board, although they do have lots of Daler Rowney board, I assume it can't be archival, as it wasn't sealed and was open to being browsed by Joe Public.
There must be a way to source small quantities of conservation mattes and backing boards.

David.
davidgaynor

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:53 am

Try Silverprint in London.
http://www.silverprint.co.uk
Ed.
Robin Hood

Return to Fine Art Printing