Printing on canvas

Use this forum to discuss, printing techniques, media, inks and other matters relating to producing Fine Art Prints.

Moderators: gcrogers, Kevgermany, Costas L

Printing on canvas

Postby bigbob » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi all i'm new to this site so if this question has already been answered just point me in the direction of the answer .
I use an epson 2100 printer and i'm trying to print on canvas i can get it through the printer but i can't get it to print borderless prints nor can i get it to go through stright so what am i doing wrong. I have tried the epson web site only it only tells me to hand feed into the rear slot so any help welcome
bigbob

Re: Printing on canvas

Postby edwinb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:16 pm

what weight canvas are you printing?
if its stiff it will continue to feed in the direction its loaded
I have constructed guides for some printers with card/selotape and bluetac to make sure it doesnt twist as it loads
only standard widths print borderless because of the positions of the pads that colect the overspray
edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical manager
Sinar | Foba | Inkjet
edwinb

Postby bigbob » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:15 pm

in reply to edwinb the canvas weight is 350g it is not stiff so rather like feeding a bed sheet through the printer. so if i understand you corectly i can attach the canvas to another sheet of paper and feed them both through together.
in reply to The Crofter you are rite i don't have to print borderless on canvas in fact it would be a waste, but saying borderless is just a habbit as all my other prints are done that way. thank's for taking the time to reply
bigbob

Postby bigbob » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Thank's for the advice will give it a try. Now for another question if i decied to upgread my printer in the near future( withen 6 months ) what would be the best one to buy remembering i want to print a3 on canvas.
bigbob

Postby brian1208 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:41 pm

HP 9180, Epson 2880 or 3880 should all do the job (not sure about canon 9500)

I've been using the HP 9180 for 3 years now and get beautiful results (sold many to very happy customers) but not everyone has happy stories of reliability with this machine - but it is cheap at the moment and with a 3 year warranty you overcome any reliability problems, so - the choice is yours :)
brian1208

Postby edwinb » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:54 pm

bigbob wrote:Thank's for the advice will give it a try. Now for another question if i decied to upgread my printer in the near future( withen 6 months ) what would be the best one to buy remembering i want to print a3 on canvas.

I would go for a secondhand epson 7600 / 7800 / 7880 as the roll feed and the way it drops is very reliable and tends to keep the heads clean and they can be bought with good life left in them.
the 'up to' 24" width is versatile and the ink is lots cheaper than in the smalller printers

edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical manager
Sinar | Foba | Inkjet
edwinb

Postby Alexendera » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:27 am

HP Ink Jet Printer Series are the best for printing a3 on canvass.You can try them .They are also of cheap cost.
Alexendera

Postby Alina » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:51 am

There was a time when high quality prints on canvas involved an actual artist copying the work onto the canvas :P :P :P Photographs would only be transferred to canvas through a professional specializing in photo press work. However, with today's technology, you can print on canvas yourself. You can achieve high quality prints on canvas using the correct computer programs, canvas, printers and subject matter :lol:
Alina

Return to Fine Art Printing