Page 7 – 18th March 2011
Let’s take a closer look at how the new Vivid Magenta UltraChrome K3 ink set performs and I will compare them to the standard UltraChrome K3 inks. But first I will take a close look at the eye detail on Sophie and colours on our cotton reels element.
Comparing the eye detail shots, at normal viewing distance the R3000 does display a smoother look which may also give the impression that the image is not as razor sharp as the R3800 print. Take a look at the bottom two detail shots and look at the light reflection in the pupil and you will see a clearly defined edge on the R3000. This will be due to the smaller ink droplet size. You can also see that the colouring of the R3000 has a slight leaning towards magenta. I know I am splitting hairs with this test, and that at normal viewing distance both prints display excellent quality. But then Epson, Canon and HP have now made my job of reviewing new printers very hard, how much better than a photograph can you get?
As an initial observation, the R3000 colours have visibly more depth, look at the comparison shots above and without exception all the colours are more vibrant.
- Sample 1: The black reel displays a good solid black yet still holds detail in the thread. The brown reel is almost like a bar of chocolate, great saturation, compare this to the R3800 brown and you can see the improvement the new Vivid Magenta UltraChrome inks have on the colours. The white cotton reel keeps all the subtle detail in each thread, detail has not been lost here.
- Sample 2: The two red reels are also showing a good depth of colour this is due to the vivid magenta.
- Sample 3: I love the depth of colour in both the yellow and green, I can’t fault this and look forward to printing some landscape pictures later in this review.
- Sample 4: To date these are possibly the best rendition of the blue reel I have seen, great solid colour that jumps of the page. The Violet reel is accurate on the actual print in hand but has not reproduced that well on my scan. See Notice below
- Samples 5 & 6: The reds and blues are excellent.
- Sample 7: Very accurate rendition of solid colour swatches, although the grey is showing a slight cyan cast.
- Sample 8: Magenta is a strong colour with this printer, did I mention the printer uses the new Vivid Magenta & Vivid Light Magenta inks?
All the pictures on this page are scans of prints made with the R3000 (+R3800). Although every effort is made to match the printed picture there will be a small amount of variation in colours.